Saturday, December 17, 2011

Awesome bowler hat lights

{source}
Sometimes you follow links and blog posts and it's like a never ending rabbit hole.  Other times, you actually see the light at the end of the tunnel and find something really cool.

I spotted these really cool light fixtures from a designer in London, Jake Phipps.  I think these would be fairly simple to make.


Though I haven't made them myself, I was able to get some info. off his site that give some clues to how he made these.

The designer found vintage top hats or bowler hats.  He added an anodised aluminum lining to the hats. He added a suspension lighting kit.  The bulbs he used were 28 watt.  I don't think I've seen that here in the US, but I would assume you'd need to use a very low watt bulb.

For the lining, the designer used gold and silver.  I prefer the silver or {and I'm not even sure if they sell it} I would prefer a black lining myself.  I'm not sure how the light would reflect off a black lining - probably not too well, but just sayin' what I think would be pretty.

These look super-cool.  I hope I can try to make these some day!








2 comments:

  1. Oh WOW, these are awesome!!! And totally clever!!! Thank you SO much for coming to visit~I'm your newest follower.

    Merry Christmas~I hope you have a wonderful holiday!!!
    XO
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete